Siberian Huskies are wonderful dogs, but their incredibly thick coat and undercoat make it a challenge to cool them down in hot months. If you are wondering how to keep your husky cool in the summer, I’ll be going over some of my best tips for this. In addition, this blog will also relate to dogs similar to Siberian Husky with a thick undercoat.
Siberian Huskies are known for their thick double coats, which help them to stay warm in cold climates. However, this same coat can make it difficult for them to stay cool in hot weather. As a result, it is important to take extra precautions to keep your Husky cool during the summer.
1. Provide plenty of shade – Make sure your Husky has access to plenty of shade, both indoors and outdoors. Indoors, you can provide shade by closing curtains or blinds, or by using a fan. Outdoors, you can provide shade by using a dog house, umbrella, or tree.
2. Never leave your Husky in a hot car, even for a short period of time – The temperature inside a car can rise quickly, even if the windows are cracked. Furthermore, leaving your Husky in a hot car can be fatal.
3. Take your Husky for walks and playtime in the early morning or late evening when the temperatures are cooler – Avoid taking your Husky for walks or playtime during the hottest part of the day.
4. Give your Husky a cool bath or let them play in a kiddie pool – Cool baths or kiddie pools can help to lower your Husky’s body temperature.
5. Groom your Husky regularly to remove excess fur – Excess fur can trap heat and make your Husky hotter. Brush your Husky regularly to remove dead hair and undercoat.
6. Feed your Husky a healthy diet and plenty of water – A healthy diet will help your Husky to stay hydrated and regulate their body temperature. Furthermore, make sure your Husky always has access to fresh, clean water.
7. Good Treats For Huskies to Keep Them Cool – Frozen treats, such as frozen Kongs filled with peanut butter or yogurt, can help to keep your Husky cool and entertained. Frozen toys, such as ice cubes or frozen towels, can also help to keep your Husky cool in the summer.
Frozen Peanut Butter and Banana Kong
Frozen Yogurt and Fruit Kong
Frozen Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Puree Kong
By following these tips, you can help to keep your Husky cool and safe during the summer.